There are numerous archive types tar.bz, tar.bz2, zip, rar, etc... And most of the time it is impossible to remember every conceivable option out there. By using a tool like atool you just have to remember things specific to atool and let the atool handle remaining details.
- aunpack - To extract files from an archive.
- apack - To create an archive.
- als - To list files in an archive.
- acat - To extract contents to standard output.
- adiff - To display differences between two archives.
- arepack - To convert an archive from one format to another.
sudo apt-get -y install atool