Making Atheros AR242x Wireless Chipset work with ndiswrapper

This only works for 32bit linux. And I can't gurantee about 64bit ubuntu machines.

Clean up previous installations of ath drivers and ndiswrapper.

First add following lines to your /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file.

blacklist ath_pci
blacklist ath_hal

Now delete files left by previous installation of ndiswrapper.

 sudo rm -fr /etc/ndiswrapper/

Now open System >> Administration >> Hardware Drivers and disable all atheros drivers.

Install ndiswrapper

sudo apt-get -y install ndiswrapper-common

Download 32 bit driver. Extract the archive and execute following command from the folder where you extracted the contents.

sudo ndiswraper -i net5211.inf

Use following command to see whether the driver is correctly installed.

sudo ndiswrapper -l

Execute following command.

sudo ndiswrapper -ma

Now add following line to the file /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper at the end.

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

Reboot and enjoy using your wireless lan network.

Seems like this fix is working with following machines.

  • Acer Aspire series 4520
  • e900

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have spent the past two days, without break, trying to get wireless working on my eee 900 with Ubuntu 8.04. I tried every how to on the net with total failure each time and this has finally worked. I am happy to say I am posting from my eee on a wireless connection, I can't thank you enough for your thorough (and working) how to.

-Shawn
Anonymous said…
It's work.!!!
My machine is Presario C700 ( C765TU) On Hardy Heron.
Thank you.
Anonymous said…
Soenke say it works fine for me, kubuntu 9.04, atheros 5007, wicd, i worked month on this problem e.g. with ath5k kernel driver and other nw-manager. It works also excellent with my 8.04 distribution with kde nw-manager.
thks so much

Popular posts from this blog

Easy network traffic shaping on your ubuntu system

winetricks - install wine application perquisites with ease

Multi touch for any,all synaptics touchpad